2018 NGO Global Director of People Operations Job Kenya
Vacant Position: Global Director of People Operations
Job Location: Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda_ East Africa field site or capital city, with up to 25% travel (initial six months will require 50% time in rural East Africa)
Client: The client is a non-profit social enterprise that supplies financing and training to help small-scale farmers grow their way out of hunger and build lasting pathways to prosperity.
Job Summary: The Global Director of People Operations will be one of the most important people in the organization and will quickly join the organization-wide leadership group.
S/he will be a key deputy to the Global Director of Operations and will lead all human resource and talent management functions in our 4,000+ person organization, spanning several departments.
This is not a typical HR management role since the company thinks of HR differently than most companies.
They take pride in their innovative approach to talent and team; their creative recruitment strategies drive more than 35,000 international and 100,000 country national applications per year; they retain top professionals in field postings far longer than most organizations and companies; they are building a high performing, mission-driven team that is primarily based in rural areas, so that they can learn from its customers on a daily basis.
The company’s team matters more than anything else, and they are seeking an exceptional, innovative leader who can help take their HR and talent functions to the next level as they continue to scale rapidly.
Overall Role Goals:
- Continue building best-in-class people functions to help the organization recruit, develop and retain top global and country national talent across more than 10 countries. Company has a team of dozens of experienced staff members working on innovative People solutions and are seeking an innovative leader to help push the team and company’s progress even further.
- Make the company the best place to work in the world for development professionals looking to build a career in social impact
- Drive innovation across all HR and talent functions.
- Help the organization maintain its unique culture as they scale.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Setting Vision & Strategy:
- Work with senior leaders to collaboratively set and execute on long-term vision for all HR and talent functions, under the “People Division” umbrella o Work with leadership on organizational design and change management, to help maintain a high-performing,
motivated, and impactful team
- Build and maintain strong collaborative working relationships across several global departments, and amongst key leaders in all countries
- Identify and execute on key areas of strategic innovation
2. Building Team:
- Day-to-day management of multiple director-level staff, with a total team size of several dozen staff. The following teams fall under the management of the Global Director of People Operations (HR):
- Global Recruitment and HR, Country-based Recruitment and HR, Training and Development, People Innovations, and Corporate Operations (health, safety, facilities, visitors)
- Global Director of HR will be responsible for rapidly growing the careers of the leaders of these departments through weekly check-ins and workshops, ongoing development feedback, and biannual career reviews
3. Executing on Key Organizational Initiatives:
Deliver results on key organizational initiatives related to all aspects of HR and talent management, including working with our outstanding team of department directors in the following areas:
- Help strengthen and diversify our client’s recruitment pipeline from global and in-country talent pools, and streamline hiring processes
- Build a strong internal and external brand to attract and retain top talent in our field
- Help recruit top talent to fill leadership positions
- Continually monitor and (when necessary) improve upon compensation and benefits package to remain competitive
- Collaborate with leadership to identify and address training and development needs to roll out to our client’s global staff
- Design and implement scalable professional development services to build the careers of our client’s amazing staff members in 10+ countries
- Maintain our client’s unique organizational culture across a growing number of country operations
- Develop an innovative approach to retaining talent, particularly in rural postings
- Build practical systems to ensure health and safety of staff across several field and capital city sites
d. Data and Compliance
- Improve collection and use of data using HRIS and other systems
- Use data to make educated decisions about people strategy
- Work closely with Legal team to minimize HR and compliance risks
- Generally – design and implement innovative and impactful systems that can scale across several countries in E. Africa, Europe, North America, and Asia
Note: Most work will be done through our client’s incredible team of key deputies and department directors, but direct involvement in sketching, creating, and editing of key deliverables will be required
4. Leading Innovation in HR and Talent Management:
- Drive innovation across all HR and talent management functions, by thinking creatively and outside the box. We are not looking to build a runoff-the-mill HR department. Example focus areas include:
- Creatively expand our global reach into untapped talent pools, and attract the best people available (E. Africa, W. Africa, Asia, etc.)
- Continue designing creative solutions to retaining top talent in rural field locations
- Use technology to cost-effectively deliver professional development services across several countries o Continually raise the bar and create an exceptional “customer experience” for all staff
- Serve as the global voice for all HR and talent-related issues, to the organization and to leadership.
- Help all HR teams work and communicate together to provide the most impactful results to staff and clients.
Education Qualifications, Work Experience and Required skills
The client is seeking exceptional candidates with 7-10+ years’ work experience as a general manager and leader in a fast-growing organization, and a propensity for innovation – C-level executives or co-founders would be ideal candidates.
Prior HR experience preferred but not required if the candidate has held a senior-level position at an innovative organization that places a strong emphasis on People.
- MBA in Human Resource Management or Related Master’s Degree is an asset, but not strictly required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management or Related field from a recognized institution.
- Passion for building teams, finding talent, building relationships and tackling challenging people-related issues.
- Proven ability to manage teams and develop leaders; experience in remote management a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong data and analytical skills; advanced Excel a plus.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural workplace in a developing country, ideally in East Africa, a plus.
- Creativity and strong problem-solving skills.
- A passionate professional who combines strong leadership skills with patience, and a humble approach to service.
- A willingness to commit to living in East Africa for at least two years – this is a long-term, career-track role.
- Language: Fluent English required; Swahili, Kinyarwanda and/or French a plus
- Ability to be self-motivated with a positive attitude and a solid work ethic
To apply, send your CV and cover letter only to firstname.lastname@example.org before close of business 15th March 2018.
Clearly indicate the position applied for and expected salary on the subject line.