2018 Telkom Cable Landing Station Engineer Job in Kenya
Feb 2018 Telkom Cable Landing Station Engineer Job Vacancy in Mombasa Kenya
Vacant Position: Cable Landing Station Engineer
Region: Mombasa, Kenya
Reporting to: Manager, Mombasa Submarine Network Cable Landing Station
Department: Technology Division
Role Purpose: The incumbent will be In charge of transmission activities in the sector and equipment allocated to him/her.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- To liaise with the network administrators in NOC stations for provisioning and testing of new customer’s circuits.
- To assist the NOC’s in faulting on existing circuit faults and to perform maintenance procedures on the DCN servers and switches.
- To ensure prompt completion and physical provisioning of customer’s circuit on the optical distribution frame (ODF) at the landing station.
- To liaise with the customer and provide backhaul connectivity at the Members Meeting Room.
- To advise customers on the available services as provided by TEAMS, EASSY and LION2.
- To monitor and interpret traffic performance via the NMS (Network Management System).
- To initiate fault clearance procedures based on alarms log from the network management systems and also on incidences as reported by the customer supervisory centers.
- To escalate faults that appear on the station equipment to the concerned parties based on contractual agreement.
- To ensure prompt traffic restoration and to institute action plans during emergencies like submarine cable cuts and/or failure of undersea submerged repeaters and equalizers.
- To perform daily, weekly and monthly routine maintenance procedures on Power Feeding Equipment, rectifiers and batteries, and conduct Land cable routine check.
- Performs corrective maintenance procedures in case of the malfunction or breakdown of the DWDM Submarine landing station equipment.
- To check, record and institute corrective maintenance procedures on the auxiliary subsystems.
- To ensure that all test gears e.g. power meters, OTDR, OSA etc. are well calibrated and available for use during emergencies.
- To perform preventive maintenance procedures on the GENSET and to report promptly to the maintenance contractor in case of anomalies
- To assist contractors technically and logistically during new installations or as otherwise directed by the Landing Station Manager.
- To conduct orientation tours to members and/or visitors as directed by the Landing Station Manager
- Prepare Fault Resolution Report on all fault incidences attended
- Prepare reports for Routine Maintenances on SLTE, SIE, PFE, Battery-banks &rectifiers
Academic / Professional Qualifications
- Degree in Telecommunications / Engineering with three (3) years’ experience Or
- Diploma in Telecommunications / Engineering with six (6) years’ experience or any-related technical degree/Diploma from a recognized institution.
Must have the understanding of the below:
- MS OFFICE, MS EXCEL, MS ACCESS and MS POWERPOINT
- Telecommunication ( transmission system )
- Dynamic and customer focused
- Concern for accuracy and perfection
- Technical and professional expertise
- Organizational awareness
- Team working / collaboration
- Result orientation
- Initiative and pro-activity
- Communication skills
This position is open to Kenyan citizens only.
If you are up to the challenge & fit the required profile, please apply highlighting how your qualifications, experience and career aspirations match the requirements for this position.
Application should be sent by latest 5th March 2018, please provide an updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) including details of your current telephone contacts and names of three referees.
Apply through email@example.com and ensure the job title is quoted on the subject field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Telkom is an equal opportunity employer