Accounting Job in Kenya 2021
Accounting Job in Kenya 2021
Career Employment Kenya: Accounting Job in Kenya 2021
Job Description: Today Work Kenya
Managing the company’s
finances, including financial planning, mitigation of financial risks, ensuring
proper financial record keeping, financial & management reporting and
operational support to the company. The role holder will play a key part
in advising and supporting other departments on strategic and tactical aspects
relating to budget management, cost benefit analysis, forecasting and funding
The roles specific
tasks will include:
1. Strategic management
- Participate in the development of the financial
and operational strategy for the organization in line with the company and
mPharma’s overall strategy and business goals. Oversee the cascading of
both the financial and operational strategy to the staff in the finance
- Support the development of the company’s KPIs and
support the tactical initiatives to aid the achievement of the strategy
and goals as well as oversee the implementation in the Finance department.
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership
on decision making issues affecting the organization, such as evaluation
of potential alliances, acquisitions and/or mergers, and investments
2. Forecasting &
- Lead the development of the organization’s
budgeting process and guide the other departmental heads in the
development of the individual departments’ budgets.
- Ensure proper tax planning and develop the
appropriate tax strategies for the organization.
- Assist the mPharma CFO in instituting group
financial reporting structure, policies, processes and procedures in the
- Manage and oversee accounting (both payables and
receivables), legal, tax, Statutory returns, branch financial operations,
treasury operations, inventory management and fixed assets management.
- Payroll and salary administration, including
ensuring that all applicable payroll taxes are deducted and remitted
- Focus on ensuring value for money is obtained by
performing cost benefit analysis of all purchases and expenditure in the
organization before approving spending.
- Lead the implementation and operationalisation of
financial systems, processes, policies, and best practices in operations
and financial management across the company. This includes training of the
staff on the use of these systems.
Reporting and accounting
- Facilitate the preparation of
daily/weekly/monthly/annual financial reports are in line with the IFRS
for the relevant stakeholders including mPharma group reporting,
shareholders, employees, government, regulatory bodies among others.
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly reconciliation
of all general and subsidiary ledger accounts.
- Presentation of financial results to the key
stakeholders including the board and Audit committee.
- Liaise with external auditors and regulatory
examiners to ensure financials in compliance with all applicable rules and
- Provision of IFRS support to CFO and other staff
5. Decision Making
- Support decision making by ensuring timely
availability of accurate financial reports to guide decision making by the
- Conduct evaluation and necessary due diligence for
mergers, alliances, acquisitions and investments to aid the final decision
6. Governance, risk
- Ensure that appropriate internal control
procedures are in place and adhered to. This includes developing,
implementing, monitoring and reviewing internal control systems to
safeguard the assets of the company
- Ensure that appropriate risk management procedures
are in place and adhered to. Based on the understanding of the company’s
risk profile, develop measures to mitigate the key risks.
- Review and assess the terms and benefits of all
prospective contracts and advise the management on implementation matters.
- Ensure compliance to financial, legal and
regulatory requirements including Companies Act, IFRS, Income tax act
- Filing of tax returns to the various tax
- Keep abreast with current changes in accounting
standards as well as regulatory environments and ensure appropriate
implementation and risk management
- Present risk issues to the MD and board audit
Management & Economic Return
- Forecasting future cash flows for the business,
obtaining necessary funding and reporting results vis a vis what was
- Arrange for debt and equity financing and find
appropriate ways to invest the company’s finances as well as manage the
investments. This includes managing all banking and financing
- Efficiently manage cash flows including cash
balances and working capital to ensure the company is able conduct planned
activities, meet its costs and all its financial commitments.
- Drive business improvement initiatives including
cost reduction and other process improvements that add value to the
- Help the company earn the highest possible
risk-adjusted return on assets and
return on capital.
8. People management
- Lead the finance team in the company including the
setting of departmental and individual KPIs and objectives.
- Oversee team management, performance appraisal and
- Ensure development of the finance team and other
staff across the business on relevant financial management
- A Certified Public Accountant (CPAK) or ACCA
- A Bachelor of Commerce or BSC or BA degree in
Accounting, Math, Finance, Engineering, Physical Sciences preferred
- 7+ years’ experience in finance with an exposure
to external audit and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in management;
- Superior proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel,
PowerPoint etc.) and familiarity with Google Suite (Docs, Sheets, Slides)
- Strong attention to detail and exceptional
analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and
disseminate significant amounts of information with accuracy
- Excellent problem-solving skills with
leverageable background and exceptional project management skills
- Ability to work independently and collaborate as a
part of a team
- Adept at creating presentations report writing and
- Proactive, resourceful, and meticulous
- Fluency in English
- Strategy advises across pharmaceutical and
technology sectors in areas relating to business development, financial
reporting, taxation, auditing and accounting
- External audit experience
- Experience working in technology startup,
investment banking or strategy consulting environment
- Experience in running a busy finance department
especially in a startup
- Retail or FMCG experience
- This position reports to the pharma CFO.
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with
the candidate’s experience.
- This position is based in Nairobi, Kenya.