Busara Center Director of Finance Job in Nairobi 2017
Busara Center Director of Finance Career Recruitment in Nairobi Kenya Nov 2017
Nairobi County, Kenya
The Director analyzes Busara’s financial performance, manages finance related risk, and is responsible for managing any financing Busara leverages to fund its day to day operations.
The Director also oversees Busara’s Finance and Accounting team, which manages accounting and finance for Busara globally.
Additionally, the Director will formalize Busara’s accounting and financial policies. This will ensure that all relevant laws and regulations in all countries of operation are understood and adhered to.
We are looking for a high-capacity, action-oriented individual with senior finance experience who is keen to capitalize on that experience to help Busara continue growing our high-performing organization.
Financial planning and risk management
- Maintain constant awareness of the company’s financial position and act swiftly to prevent and address problems. This includes monitoring of:
- Cash position,
- Budget vs actuals for all projects, and
- Net income.
- Conduct financial analysis to make forecasts, report to senior management, and advise on our business model
- Assess and manage financial risks, including foreign exchange (through hedging, physical location of cash management, etc.)
- Drive the quarterly and annual budgeting process throughout the organization, following up by monitoring expenses and developing systems to detect variances
- Support good corporate governance with respect to finance to ensure the long term success of the organization
- Support development of a corporate fundraising strategy and manage relationships with financial stakeholders
- Responsible for all areas of corporate financial compliance, including tax, legal entity, local governance, debt covenants, etc.
- Oversee all audit and internal control operations, ensuring strict financial controls are in place and adhered to
- Coordinate all external audits, delegating responsibilities to designated team members in each country office
- Maintain up to date knowledge of financial regulations and relevant laws in all jurisdictions where Busara works
- Ensure compliance with US nonprofit reporting requirements, USAID grant requirements (either directly or through oversight of staff), and all taxes and statutory payments
- Secure and manage any necessary financing (e.g., loans or other financing instruments)
- Manage foreign currency transfers between entities, optimizing in order to save money
- Oversee global cash management, delegating day to day responsibility to the Finance Manager
- Set and manage cash reserve requirements and policies
- Set up the tools and reporting Busara needs to access debt facilities and other types of financing
- Oversee the Finance department to responsibly and efficiently issue a high workload of payments, often up to a few hundred per day
- Manage the Finance team to tightly administer Accounts Receivable, continuously reducing the amount of time from invoice to payment by Busara’s clients
- Automate the monthly close process
- Oversee Busara’s finance IT systems, including:
- NetSuite, our accounting system
- An internally developed requests and approval system
- An internally developed mobile money payments platform
- Prepare quarterly and monthly financial reports and projections for Busara senior management, including:
- Profit and loss by project, Engagement Director, cost center, etc.
- Total sales per quarter
- Actuals against budget for all projects and teams (and provide tools that help teams develop, track, and follow up on their projects)
- Custom reports and analysis to help provide visibility into spending, what makes a profitable project, etc.
- An advanced degree in business, economics, finance, or a related field (MBA preferable)
- Accounting qualification (CPA, CPA(K), ACCA, CA or equivalent)
- Deep knowledge of standard accounting principles (GAAP, IFRS, etc.)
- 5+ years of finance and management experience, preferably with prior experience as a Director of Finance
- Financial modeling and advanced Excel skills
- Experience with consolidations and NetSuite highly preferrable
- Prior professional experience in East Africa preferable
- Ability to anticipate workload and prioritize team workflow and deliverables
- Strong analytical skills with strategic abilities and an entrepreneurial mindset
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- Self-motivated, with a desire for continual learning