Finance & Administration Officer Job AAH Kenya 2020
Finance & Administration Officer Job AAH Kenya 2020
Career Employment Kenya: Finance & Administration Officer Job AAH Kenya 2020
Job Description: Today Work Kenya
Action Africa Help International (AAH-I) is a regional African-led non-governmental organisation that supports livelihood-challenged communities in East and Southern Africa to sustainably improve their well-being and standard of living. With Country Programmes in South Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, Uganda, Zambia and recently in Ethiopia, AAH-I has over 25 years’ experience working with communities in conflict and post-conflict situations, including refugees, internally displaced people and host communities. More recently AAH-I has expanded its activities to work with other marginalised communities, including pastoralists and people living in informal urban settlements.
Action Africa Help International (Kenya, Somalia & Uganda Programme) is looking for well-organized and highly motivated individual to be considered for the Finance & Administration Manager position.
Reports to: Regional Finance & Administration Manager
Liaises with: Finance & Admin Officers in the field
Staff Supervision: Nairobi Finance Assistant
Duty Station: Nairobi with regular oversight visits to field locations.
The Senior Finance & Administration Officer (S-FAO) will be a strategic thought-partner, and report to the Regional Finance Manager. The S-FAO will lead and develop the country teams to support the following areas; finance, administration, business planning, Budgets development and management.
S/he will ensure that all programme accounts are managed effectively according to AAH-I and donor financial policies and procedures. The job holder works with the Project Managers to prepare periodic and adhoc financial reports as required.
The (S-FAO) will play a critical role in partnering with the senior management team (SMT) in strategic decision making and operations of AAH-Kenya, Somalia and Uganda.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support programs with budgeting during proposal development and ensure budgets are in line with donor requirements.
- Support project managers/officers with financial planning including ensuring they update and follow costed work plans and develop project call downs in good time to ensure proper planning.
- Analyse and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner, clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; collate financial reporting materials for all AAH-Kenya, Somalia and Uganda donors and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process; liaise with external auditors and the Regional Finance Manager (RFM).
- Coordinate all project audits within the scope.
- Coordinate funds requests from the donor within the required timelines for continuous flow of Project activities.
- Assist the Project Managers to prepare budgets based on planned project activities using the approved finance guidelines or given donor regulations
- Take lead in annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the RFM; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes and keep senior Management team (SMT) abreast of the organizations financial status.
- Track in detail all commitments, purchases and outstanding items and prepare status reports
- Implement a robust financial management/reporting system; ensure that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; improve the finance departments overall policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the senior management team.
- Review of monthly bank reconciliations for all bank accounts to verify accuracy and compliance to policy.
- Training of other field finance staff and providing necessary support like processing funds request from the Projects.
- Ensure any budget realignments/adjustments is done in collaboration with the RFM.
- Ensure donor financial reports are collated and submitted to the RFM in advance to allow adequate time to discuss, edit and make necessary modifications before final approval and submission.
- Analyse the financial situation and cash flow management of projects and advise the Project Managers accordingly.
- Ensure and monitor on a timely basis all financial transactions and monitor them to ensure that they are accurate, complete and reliable as entered in the ledger.
- Will act as the first line support for technical Finance system end Users, maintaining the integrity of Finance systems administration of AAHI.
- Oversee administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations.
- Coordinate and liaise with all external partners including third-party vendors and consultants for to ensure efficiency and transparency.
- Observing compliance with all statutory, regulatory, laws and policies for effectiveness and efficiency.
- Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to employees on key processes, tools, policies and procedures.
- Oversee the procurement function for Kenya, Somalia and Uganda Programmes
- Accounting systems are maintained and up to date
- Compliance to all organizational and legal requirements
- Bank and Cash statements reconciled and up to date
- Project audits supported and gaps closed (audit recommendations implemented).
- Financial reports from the field are prepared on time and submitted to the Project Managers, RFM, and CD.
- Cash flow is monitored and maintained at acceptable levels
- Finance systems are accurate and maintained as per laid down financial procedures
Essential Qualifications, skills, and experience
- Minimum of a Bachelors Degree in a Business related discipline.
- A Certified Public Accountant of Kenya (CPA-K) with active membership.
- MBA/MSC is an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of overall professional experience in financial and operations management.
- Ability to translate financial concepts and to effectively collaborate with – programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have a finance background.
- Past experience in grants management for projects implemented within Africa.
- Working experience with different donors –UNHCR, UNICEF, UN Women, DANIDA, DFID, EC, Bread for the World etc
- Knowledge of various accounting and reporting software especially Sage Evolution.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with ability to prioritize, negotiate and work with internal and external stakeholders.
- A multi tasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and dedication to the mission of the organization.
Skills and competencies
- A good understanding of managing accounts and information needed to support forecasting and budgeting
- High degree of integrity and analytical skills.
- Familiarity with SAGE Evolution for financial and management accounting as well as payroll and statutory matters
- Ability to work independently, but as part of a small team, on different projects.
- Computer literate in MS Office, with a particular focus on Excel.
- Ability to work well under pressure.