Girl Effect Evidence & Insight Specialist Job Kenya 2021
Girl Effect Evidence & Insight Specialist Job Kenya 2021
Career Employment Kenya: Girl Effect Evidence & Insight Specialist Job Kenya 2021
Job Description: Today vacancy in Kenya
Who we are
Girl Effect is an international non-profit that builds media that girls want, trust and need.
From chatbots to chat shows and TV dramas to tech, our content is reaching millions of girls in Africa and Asia to make choices and changes in their lives. Igniting their confidence to act differently at a time that can define their future.
We create safe spaces for girls, sharing facts, and answering questions about health, nutrition, education, relationships and so much more. And we use innovative technology so we can reach girls at scale. We arm girls with the skills to negotiate and redefine what they are told is possible, so every girl can choose to be in control of her body, her health, her learning and livelihood.
When a girl unlocks her power to make different choices that change her life, it inspires others to do so too. She starts a ripple effect that impacts her family, her community, her country. That’s the Girl Effect.
Context of the role
The Evidence & Insights team within Girl Effect conducts formative research, monitoring, evaluation and learning to support the organisation in designing and developing our work to create the greatest impact for girls. We also work closely with the partnerships team to measure and evaluate our work against our specific objectives and demonstrate our impact on existing and potential donors. The team plays a key role in ensuring we are a learning organisation, collecting and using data and insights to understand how we can maximise our reach and impact, and feeding that learning back into the organisation.
Over the next 12-18 months we have an exciting and varied portfolio of work planned within the E&I team, including conducting research to inform our new economic empowerment programming across our geographies of Ethiopia, India and Tanzania; impact evaluations of established programmes; ongoing monitoring – including of our digital products using analytics and other digital methods; creative and content testing to understand how girls are engaging with our output; and a range of other work.
With a number of important workstreams taking place in 2022, we are looking to incorporate a Market Research lens to drive impact and seek an experienced Market Researcher / who is comfortable working across both qualitative and quantitative methods, excited to work across a range of programmes and geographies, and with a flexible can-do attitude. We want someone who is comfortable working independently and leading work when needed, but equally happy getting involved in the nitty-gritty of fieldwork and analysis processes.
We are open to applicants at the Senior Research Executive level – what’s most important is a solid grounding in a range of Market Research techniques, proven experience of successfully managing substantial projects on the ground, excellent analysis and communication skills. An adaptable, problem-solving attitude and a sharp, curious, intuitive brain will be important for a successful candidate to have
This role is based in either Kenya or India but there are opportunities for periods of time working on the ground in the countries where we work. We estimate this role will require up to 10% international travel.
What you will do
- Run / Support integration of Market Research approach to evidence projects across Girl Effect’s country and product portfolio, including tool design, data collection, data management and analysis, and report writing. You will contribute to the design of outcome evaluations and measurement frameworks, advise on research budgets, write Requests for Proposals and Terms of Reference for studies, develop indicators and research tools, advise on sampling strategies, and analyse and write up findings from the resulting data sets.
- Provide technical expertise to research, monitoring and evaluation projects, working alongside country-based teams as required. You will advise on fit-for-purpose designs suggesting qualitative and/or quantitative Market Research methodologies or other approaches (e.g. using digital methods or secondary data sources) as appropriate
- Work closely with country-based technical evidence leads to ensure our work is done to the highest quality
- Ensure that Girl Effect’s ethical and safeguarding standards are upheld, and that field implementation is conducted to the highest standards, through training and oversight of field research partners in-country.
- Undertake desk-based research on the evidence related to themes and contexts in order to pull and integrate this information into our approach
- Ensure that research outputs are accessible and readily understandable, helping them to be as useful and used as possible
- You will build capacity in qualitative and/or quantitative evidence approaches across Girl Effect’s evidence and insights teams globally
Who you are
- Substantial experience (minimum 4 years) in Market Research and/or monitoring and evaluation.
- Education – Bachelors Degree in related field
- Expertise in one of either brand/media market strategy
- Demonstrated experience in implementation of high quality qualitative and quantitative Market research design, Focus Groups, data analysis and reporting
- Experience with participatory approaches, and ideally of working with a target audience of young people and/ or girls specifically.
- Experience in designing, conducting and applying mixed methods (qualitative, quantitative and/or digital) research to support practical outcomes, preferably within one or more of the media, public health, communications or social change sectors.
- Strong qualitative and quantitative data analysis skills; proficient with data analysis software packages
- Experience in presenting both basic as well as sophisticated analysis to different teams as well as supporting them to understand and use data to learn and adapt.
- Demonstrated skills in producing high quality, innovative and engaging research presentations and briefings for diverse audiences.
- Excellent organisation and project management skills; able to develop and drive research processes and timelines.
- Strong cultural awareness and sensitivity about the cultures within which Girl Effect operates.
- Experience coordinating work-streams across multiple geographies and ability to work effectively in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds.
- Creative and inquisitive mindset with strong communication and organisational skills.
- Commitment to realising the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect.
- Technical/theoretical knowledge in one or more of Girl Effect’s thematic areas (e.g. gender, sexual and reproductive health, economic empowerment etc.)
- Experience working with digital analytics data (e.g. Facebook analytics, Google Analytics etc.)
- Background in evaluating products brand/media that relate to women and girls
- Hands-on experience of market research in emerging markets or developing contexts
- Experience in training and mentoring others in research methods, data analysis and reporting
What else you should know
As we continue to scale and grow – we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven to change the world for girls.
Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective. In turn, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause.
Girl Effect is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
We are committed to building an organization that is increasingly representative of the communities that we serve. To this end, due regard will be paid to recruiting candidates with diverse professional, academic and cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all those we work with and for, especially children and young people. We expect all staff to share this commitment, uphold standards in our safeguarding policy and our code of conduct. In particular:
- To take reasonable steps to prevent any harm caused by Girl Effect
- To report any safeguarding concerns through the reporting pathways
This role is being recruited on 12 months fixed term contract basis.
This role is subject to a standard background disclosure.