INTERSOS Regional Director (East & Central Africa) Kenya 2021
INTERSOS Regional Director (East & Central Africa) Kenya 2021
Career Employment Kenya: INTERSOS Regional Director (East & Central Africa) Kenya 2021
Job Description: Today vacancy in Kenya
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Regional Director for East and Central Africa
Duty station: Nairobi, with frequent field missions ( South Sudan, DRC and CAR)
Starting date: 01/10/2021
Contract duration: 2 years, renewable (6 months probation)
Reporting to: Director of Programmes
Supervision of: Deputy Regional Director and Heads of Mission
Dependents: Family Duty Station
General context of the project
INTERSOS is an International Humanitarian Organisation with its HQ in Rome, branch offices in Tunis, Nairobi and Amman and representation offices in Geneva and Dakar. The organisational structure is comprised of the General Secretariat, the Departments of Programmes, Finance, Logistics & Supply, Communications & Fundraising and Human Resources, the Grants Control & Compliance Unit and the office of Internal Auditor. INTERSOS is operational in 18 countries with over 3,000 among national and international staff worldwide.
INTERSOS assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts, exclusion and extreme vulnerability. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
The Department of Programmes is led by the Director of Programmes and includes four Regional Directors, the Protection unit, the Medical Unit and the Emergency Unit.
General purpose of the position
The Regional Director represents INTERSOS in the area of regional operations and in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, is responsible for Regional planning and strategic positioning of INTERSOS while ensuring strategic planning, implementation of identified strategies and achievement of Missions objectives occurs.
The Regional Director represents the Organisation in relation to third parties in the region of assignment on the basis of directives conferred by the Director of Programmes.
Main responsibilities and tasks
Under the supervision of the Director of Programmes and referring to the region of assignment:
● Designs strategies, defines territorial areas and sectors to be privileged, programmes and plans activities together with Deputy Regional Director;
● Develop Nairobi and INTERSOS into a fully functional Regional Hub, capable of high-level engagement within all relevant fora, in order to position INTERSOS to expand and consolidate relevant presence
● Ensure full legal compliance in all countries of operation with particular attention to tax and residency requirements;
● In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director guarantees the implementation of the regional strategies;
● In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director supervises the implementation of INTERSOS programmes in the missions under his/her responsibility;
● Is responsible of the overall security in the geographic area of his/her competence and of the implementation of security protocols and policies;
● Is responsible of relations with donors, stakeholders, authorities and representatives of beneficiaries and collaborates with Heads of Mission and project leaders in the management of these relations;
● In collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director supervises the implementation of the programmes in the missions under his responsibility; projects (constraints and rules of the donors, consistency and technical-methodological congruity, quality of resources, effectiveness of results efficiency);
● Supervise constraints and rules of donors ensuring consistency and technical-methodological congruity, quality of resources and effectiveness of results;
● With Deputy Regional Director and Heads of Missions, ensure application of relevant INTERSOS and donor administrative procedures for efficient and transparent management of projects, offices and countries within the Region;
● In coordination with Regional Finance Coordinator, follows up on the approval process at HQ level of project proposals before submission to the donors;
● Links with Director of Programmes and Secretary General for the approval of projects that involve a high risk in accordance with the provisions of the risk analysis;
● In collaboration with the Heads of Mission, guarantees the application of INTERSOS and donors administrative procedures for the efficient and transparent management of projects, offices and countries of his/her competence;
● In collaboration with the Human Resources Department, supervises the management of Human Resources and in particular:
● Collaborates to the recruitment of international Human Resources of the geographical area;
● Motivates, directs and supports managers and teams encouraging cohesion and motivation;
● Promotes orientation and training sessions for the operators of the region;
● Evaluates the performance of Heads of Mission and is responsible to discuss the evaluation (IRP) and the achievement of objectives;
● Supports the Heads of Mission in the evaluation process of the project leaders;
● Ensures the constant and timely sharing of information and regular communication inside the Programmes Department to facilitate the adjustment of actions referring to coordination, monitoring and control of the project activities.
Required profile and experience
● Advanced university degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, NGO management, or equivalent work experience
● Field working experience of at least seven (7) years in managing humanitarian programmes with increasing responsibilities
● Good knowledge of humanitarian architecture;
● Knowledge of the humanitarian project cycle management;
● Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office;
● Knowledge of the main humanitarian donors, with particular reference to DG ECHO, USAID and UN ways of working
● English and French mandatory
● Strategic vision, leadership, people management skill;
● Culturally sensitive and able to understand and work in complex contexts;
● Able to set up new strategies, projects and tools;
● Problem solving attitude;
● Good team player with strong initiative;
● Good interpersonal and communication skills;
● Ability to adapt and work in difficult situations