Job Recruitment at Pioneer and Nova Academies Kenya
Property Company Managing Director Career Recruitment Kenya Dec 2015
Job Vacancy: Managing Director Employment Kenya 2015
Now imagine that this school is not in one town, in one country, but in every town, in every country.
About Nova Pioneer
One year ago we launched a new venture to build the first pan-African network of high-quality, affordable primary and secondary schools. In 2016 we will be operating three schools – two in South Africa and one in Kenya – and gearing up for rapid growth.
Africa has the fastest-growing youth population in the world and a rapidly expanding middle class, but its education systems are not ready to unleash what could be the transformative generation of talent that permanently changes the face of the continent.
Our team culture is designed to reinforce our vision:
- We model the growth mindset we want our students to embody: you are challenged every day and, as a result, you grow more than at any other point in your life
- We pursue excellence in every detail and do whatever it takes to produce great work quickly
- We are radically open: we share tough messages and our own vulnerabilities because doing so helps us grow
- We put our students before our team, and our team before ourselves
- We bring infectious energy, enthusiasm and fun to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning
Pioneer and Nova Academies are establishing a subsidiary real estate company to source and develop the school campuses that will enable Pioneer/Nova to launch new schools quickly and enhance its brand positioning as a 21st-century learning environment.
During your first year on the job, you will launch the subsidiary company and lead a small team that closes at least 2-3 major deals to develop Pioneer/Nova campuses in Kenya and South Africa.
Specific key responsibilities for the role include:
- Develop and manage an overall property strategy and business plan for the group that will both achieve the long-term vision of the schools and deliver necessary return to investors
- Lead the sourcing, structuring and management of deals to deliver optimally designed and located school campuses. This will include:
- Initial sourcing of land, through acquisition, joint venture, or other structures, with sizes and locations aligned with the school roll-out strategy;
- Design of campuses in close coordination with academic teams;
- Creation and ongoing close oversight of development of buildings that maximize quality and cost-efficiency;
- Structuring of financing and legal agreements that provide sufficient return to investors and partners while providing each school with affordable and predictable long-term building costs;
- Cultivate and close major capital investment for the property company from local and international investors
- Build and manage partnerships and/or a small team to enable the efficient execution of the above responsibilities for more than 20 campuses over the next 5 years
- You have 8+ years’ experience, including significant experience managing property acquisition, financing, and/or development in high performing organizational settings
- You have a track record of building strong relationships with and managing diverse stakeholders, from investors to land owners to contractors
- You love problem solving and are particularly skilled at crafting arrangements that satisfy the objectives of multiple stakeholders while meeting the core objectives of the organization
- You have an exception ability to operate and deliver great results in a highly fluid, fast-paced environment, including creating the necessary structures and carefully managing tight deadlines
- You are an entrepreneurial self-starter and able to independently manage work execution and lead company development
- You have a passion for education and Nova Pioneer’s vision of transforming schooling across the African continent