Career Employment Kenya: Kenya 2020
Job Description: Today Work Kenya
Peer Navigator Coach Jobs, Other Professions 2020, KEMRI Jobs
Opening Date: May 29,2020
Closing Date: June 19, 2020
The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI), in collaboration with the Washington University in St. Louis (Wash U) is currently conducting research projects that include the ADAPT-I (Adaptive Strategy for Preventing and Treating Lapses of Retention in Adult HIV Care (ADAPT-R) Study and ADAPT-R-II. The ADAPT studies utilise the novel sequential multiple assignment randomized trial (SMART) approach to assess the effectiveness and cost efficiency of a family of sequential strategies to prevent initial lapses in HIV retention and to treat those that occur.
We have the below vacancies in the ADAPT-R-II study.
PEER NAVIGATOR COACH (1 POSITION) K MR/ 7 VACANCY NO. FN-013-05-2020
Reports to: Study Coordinator
Duration: 1 Year Renewable Contract as per KEMRI Scheme of Service. The first 3 months is a probation period
The Navigator mentor will work with a multi-disciplinary, Washington University in St Louis, University of Colorado and the KEMRI team, on ADAPT for Adolescent study (A44). This person will be responsible for recruiting, training and coaching peer navigators
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a peer navigator mentor for all study sites for two intervention arms of the study i.e. electronic navigation(E-Nav) and In Person navigation (IP-Nav) – overseeing site-level peer navigators arms study intervention and peer navigators.
- Train and supervise peer navigators on study arm operational procedures as well counseling skills including: verbal communication, motivation interviewing, and behavior change model application to help peer navigators to identify, address, and work with adolescents and young adults to problem solve barriers to re-engage them in care.
- Supervision includes routine session observations, weekly meetings, documentation review, and skill assessment with feedback for improvement.
- Lead weekly meetings and capacity building sessions with peer navigators to review cases and to practice and strengthen counseling approaches suited for adolescents and young adults.
- Guide peer navigators on fostering a therapeutic relationship with peer navigator study arm participants, in compliance study protocol and arm procedures.
- Train peer navigators on study documentation, including case report forms at each session, thorough note-taking, and other related intervention delivery documentation.
- Monitor peer navigation intervention delivery and documentation, ensuring compliance with protocol.
- Support recognizing participants with mental health crisis and facilitate appropriate referral or additional counseling.
- Mentor peer navigators on case presentation structure to facilitate case review discussions
- Conduct frequent site visits to Ahero, Lumumba and Kisumu county hospitals to support peer navigator arm implementation.
- Be available as needed for peer navigators’ queries and support.
- Participate in SOP development, orientation and rollout.
- Participate in study progress reporting.
- Participate in ADAPT study meetings (in-person, Skype, conference calls); including flexibility for off hours to due time differences between U.S. and Kenya.
- Write up reports, findings, and work with investigators on the implementation of the study.
- Participate in the human centered design (HCD).
- A higher diploma in counseling or social science-related field
- At least 2 years of experience working as a counselor
- Counseling supervision tasks implementation experience is an added advantage
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with motivational interviewing and behavior change
- Preference for health research experience (e.g. patient recruitment and data collection)
- Preference for experience with adolescents and young adults in HIV care patient populations, community outreach, ideally involving patient tracing or home-based care
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Works well under minimal supervision and under pressure
- Ability to manage and keep meticulous site level study records
- Excellent computer skills
- Understanding of stigma and risks associated with accidental disclosure
- Strong knowledge of local community, culture and geography
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Additional desirable qualities
- High qualities of public relations and able to work with little or no supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively and timely both verbally and in writing with staff in all cadres.
How To Apply
Applications to be done through the email email@example.com – (Indicate Position & Vacancy Number as the subject of your Email) .
Applicants should attach the following:
- Letter of Application (Indicate Vacancy Number) and date available to start working for the study
- Current Resume or Curriculum Vitae with Telephone number and e-mail address
- Two letters of reference with contact telephone numbers
- Copies of Academic Certificates and Transcripts
- A copy of the latest pay slip (if applicable)
- A copy of National Identity card or passport
KEMRI or any of its programs, Studies or Projects does not solicit for Money or any form of reward for a Job applicant to be considered for employment. Any such requests should be immediately reported to the HR department. Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
KEMRI IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER COMMITED TO DIVERSITY; PERSONS WITH DISABILITY, WOMEN, YOUTH AND THOSE FROM MARGINALIZED AREAS ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.