Mercy Corps County Learning Coordinator Job in Turkana, Kenya 2020
Mercy Corps County Learning Coordinator Job in Turkana, Kenya 2020
Career Employment Kenya: Mercy Corps County Learning Coordinator Job in Turkana, Kenya 2020
Job Description: Today Recruitment Kenya
Job Vacancy: County Learning Coordinator (Turkana)
Location: Lodwar, Turkana
Position Status: Full-Time, Regular
Salary Level: Coordinator Level
About Mercy Corps: Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary: With funding from USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA), Mercy Corps’ Nawiri Program is leading a consortium of Kenyan and international partners on a five year journey to sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition in Turkana and Samburu Counties of Kenya.
Through a phased approach that emphasizes evidence gap analysis, as well as partnership, learning, and co-creation, the program takes a robust county-centered design with government leadership, active engagement from communities, the private sector, and civil society.
Mercy Corps’ consortium brings together the global leadership, research capacity, technical expertise, and implementation experience necessary to partner with local institutions to test, adapt, and scale evidence-based solutions. Together we will sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition for vulnerable populations in Turkana and Samburu counties.
General Position Summary: The Turkana County Learning Coordinator (CLC) is responsible for developing and nurturing a responsive learning culture across Nawiri consortium members, county government, communities, CBOs, private sector, and other Nawiri partners in Turkana.
As a key member of the program’s Research & Learning Team (M&E Lead, Strategic Learning Lead, & Research & Design Lead), the CLC Turkana will establish and actively support processes, systems and products at the county level to help institutionalize the effective use of emerging data, information, and knowledge.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Turkana M&E Coordinator and Field Research Coordinator to establish and implement a system for learning and accountability at the county level.
- Play a leadership role in embedding and supporting a culture of collaboration, learning and adaptation (CLA) across Nawiri initiatives at county level, including identifying and actioning innovative, cost-effective ideas for generating excitement and commitment to learning.
- Work with the Nawiri Samburu County Learning Coordinator to develop and nurture systems for cross-county learning.
- Support the Communications Team to identify and capture significant key learning that can be leveraged for publication, and shared both internally and externally for learning purposes.
- Lead Implementation of the Nawiri learning strategy at county level and ensuring harmonization with learning strategy from M&E Plan
- Remain flexible and open to taking on new responsibilities as Nawiri evolves and progresses, especially as requested/ guided by the Strategic Learning Lead.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with Nawiri stakeholders and proactively identify, pursue, and nurture additional partnerships with county stakeholders (including civil society organizations) that will contribute to Nawiri influence and impact.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its mandate/mission.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Participants
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility: No direct supervisory responsibility at the outset. However, this may change as Nawiri unfolds and needs/opportunities evolve. The Turkana Learning Coordinator must be open to this possibility.
Furthermore, the Turkana Learning Coordinator might periodically supervise temporary staff, including enumerators.
Reports Directly To: Field Director
Works Directly With: Strategic Learning Lead, M&E team; Research & Design team; Systems Strengthening and Institutionalization Lead; All Technical Advisors; partner agencies, county government, communities, private sector, CBOs, USAID, PREG and other implementing partners.
- Bachelor’s degree in the Social Sciences; Demography, Sociology, Statistics or another MEAL-related field. Master’s degree is an added advantage. Additional education may substitute for some experience.
- Minimum of three years of relevant work experience in accountability and learning, Participatory Development or Adult Learning, ideally with an international NGO working with county governments.
- Experience setting up and implementing accountability and learning systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
Core Competencies: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Listening: Ability to actively listen (i.e., seeks to understand, asks good questions, paraphrases, and is in tune with speaker’s emotional state)
- Vulnerability & Courage: Ability to share lack of knowledge, mistakes, or failures; give and receive feedback; and raise difficult questions or concerns
- Self-awareness & Personal Improvement: Ability to recognize and develop personal strengths and areas in need of improvement and adjust style and approach depending on what the situation requires
- Decision-Making: Ability to make informed, timely decisions based on a mixture of analysis, evidence, and experience.
How to Apply
Applications should be submitted on or before 31st October, 2020 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Local candidates in Turkana are highly encouraged to apply.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Mercy Corps does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.
For the detailed Position Description and application procedure, please visit the following link: https://bit.ly/3obI1XQ
Go to www.jobsinkenya.co.ke for more job details and application process.