RTI International Database Specialist Job in Kenya 2021
RTI International Database Specialist Job in Kenya 2021
Career Employment Kenya: RTI International Database Specialist Job in Kenya 2021
Job Description: Today Recruitment Kenya
Job Vacancy: Database Specialist
RTI International is an independent organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition.
With a worldwide staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and a full spectrum of multidisciplinary services.
Universities in North Carolina founded RTI in 1958 as a centerpiece of the Research Triangle Park.
RTI is currently seeking to fill a vacancy for the Kenya Crops & Dairy Market Systems (KCDMS) Activity which is part of the Feed the Future program, America’s initiative to combat global hunger and poverty.
In this regard, USAID is partnering with RTI International on a 5-year (Oct 2017 to Sept 2022) cooperative agreement – KCDMS Activity – to help increase agricultural production and reduce poverty and malnutrition in Kenya.
The project will also spur competitive, resilient market systems in Kenya’s horticulture and dairy sectors.
We seek to recruit a Database Specialist to be based in the Nairobi office.
Job Summary: The Database specialist is based at the RTI Nairobi Office and reports to the MEL Manager. The Database Specialist will be responsible for managing the KCDMS database; ensuring that the database is operating effectively, and that data collected from the field via the official data collection forms, or directly through data upload systems, is cleaned and verified before it is entered into the database.
S/He will ensure that the database system is effectively designed for the upload and storage of relevant and useful data that can be available in appropriate formats for reporting on program impact, as well as output and
outcome level indicators found in the KCDMS MEL Plan.
S/He plays an essential role in ensuring that the MEL team, technical colleagues and grant partners have clear guidance and support on how to interact with the KCDMS database system.
The Database specialist also prepares and feeds KCDMS indicator data into DIS, TEAMS, DDL and any other platforms as guided by USAID. S/He manages the Database assistant and the MEL Assistant.
In addition, the Database specialist is expected to contribute fully to the overall objectives of the KCDMS activity, conducting him/herself in a proper manner at all times as a senior representative of the program, and is responsible for the safe keeping and care of program assets assigned to his/her care.
1. Data management system: Development and maintenance of KCDMS data management system which enables quality and timely collation (from grantees, MEL team, researchers, consultants etc.), aggregation, analysis and report generation for various audiences and needs.
This should be coupled with a good quality assurance system, effective data collection tools including ICT based tools, and user-friendly operation manuals.
Specific duties include:
- Work with MEL staff to implement grantees/stakeholders’ data collection systems and deliver appropriate training to them on grant startup.
- Work with database end users to maximize the ability of the database to analyze data and generate reports.
- Ensure that data collected from the field has the required level of quality attributes before being entered into the database system for analysis and reporting
- Prepare/update training materials for database users and train MEL staff on how to access data online.
- Ensure that the database is safe and secured
- Respond to informational requests from team members regarding MEL data.
- Maintain database results by setting and enforcing standards and controls
- Upgrades hardware and software by assessing transaction processing and database production options.
- Maintains database performance by troubleshooting problems.
- Ensures Security of the database by enforcing set policies, procedures, and controls.
- Security administration for specific application access and user access
- Storage and workload management. Plan and conduct structured testing of database designs to confirm functionality and performance
- Perform routine and customary operational and monitoring activities to ensure database integrity, stability, availability and capable of meeting ongoing information needs.
2. Assessment: Contribute to the design and implementation of periodic internal and external assessments of KCDMS’ work on the ground, and the preparation of quality reports. Work with the MEL Manager to analyze the assessments and to update the databases.
3. Reporting: Prepare data for quarterly and annual reports including county reports, grant partner reports as and when required,
4. Perform any other duties as may be required by the MEL Manager/MEL Director/CoP/ DCoP.
Job Requirements are a combination of qualifications and related experience.
Judgment of an acceptable equivalent combination, on an individual basis, is the responsibility of Management
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, data science and analytics, statistics, economics or any other relevant field and 3 years of relevant experience.
- Experience working with USAID M&E systems, handling USAID-DIS data management systems, use of TEAMS, Development Data Library (DDL) and experience in undertaking periodic internal and external DQAs.
- Advanced skills and proficient use of Excel, SPSS and Tableau / Power BI
- Proven experience using statistical computer languages, preferably Python and R, to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets
- Experience in using statistical packages for both qualitative and quantitative data analysis including SPSS, Stata
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Excellent analytical skills with strong attention to detail
- Experience working with large data sets and relational databases
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Experience in working with Agricultural/Market systems projects will be added advantage
Disclaimer: The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to
How to Apply
Interested candidates should visit this link http://m.rfer.us/RTIpM3Buf and apply by Friday, December 10, 2021, at 5.00 p.m.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
RTI does not permit any payment requests demanded during any part of the hiring process. If such requests are made, please report it to the RTI Ethics Office via HRethics@rti.org. Any candidate making any payment will be disqualified from consideration for future employment with RTI.